– Status: Founder of law firm Martins de Almeida – Advogados and of research institute Instituto de Direito e Tecnologia; consultant to international, multilateral organizations; Law teacher; member of Advisory Board of various organizations, arbitrator, and mediator.
– Member since : August 2016
– Languages: Portuguese, English, Spanish
– Geographic coverage: International. Based in Brazil
– My clients are: local or international businesses operating, or considering to operate, in Latin America; multilateral organizations.
– What I do: I advise on international, regional and national normative architecture and its implications to corporate policies, by anticipating tendencies and bridging cultures and interests.
– How it helps: It provides strategic vision, corporate positioning, and practical implementation of controls, globally consistent. Latin America, as an environment, offers particular cultural and legal challenges, either due to complexities or to innovation. Developing international strategies, and reconciliating them at the regional or national levels, is increasingly a key factor for matching cybersecurity simultaneously with global and local agenda. Additional roles beyond regular consultancy, such as dialogue facilitation, dispute board, mediation, and arbitration, may offer a portfolio of possibilities suitable to address different needs or convenience.
– My background: after my training and initial career at private practice as an attorney, I was with IBM in Brazil and in the USA (covering Latin America) from 1984 to 1996. Then I set up my law firm and my research institute, and introduced a training to Computer Law in Brazilian universities, which I have taught in the latest 20 years. Subsequently, I started assisting international organization by helping regions and countries to draft their Internet legislation (inclusively, on cybercrimes, interception of communication, data protection, and other matters), which I had already done for Brazil. In parallel, I developed my activities as arbitrator and mediator. Have extensively lectured and given training, in Brazil and abroad, as well as written articles for local or international publications.